Asked the class for their thoughts on Jollibee today – one of
the most positive responses to a general question I’ve ever received.
Apparently this place is magic. They also described it as the “McDonalds of the
Philippines,” so I was correct on that account. Still haven’t tried the magic
yet, but each second brings that moment closer.
Feeling much better today as I hope the jet lag has finally
left me. A highlight is that I wore pants and was able to get into the PBCom
Tower without incident, which really made my day. I understand that I have
great legs, but they are a treasure that Makati City would rather be without.
Also, I was able to get into the correct line for the elevator today, which
proves that old dogs can learn new tricks.
Walked to and from work and was finally able to get a feel
and sense of this city of 11 million souls. I’m not a big city sort of guy, but
I will admit that the chaos of these streets is finding a place in my heart.
Amazing how quickly you can pick up the ‘stepping out into heavy, moving
traffic’ skills that are required for foot commutes in this city.
The traffic here is just incredible. Walking through it is
one thing, but being in a car is something else. We’ve gotten a few rides from
the hotel car pool and it never ceases to amaze me how the driver can be
merging through lanes of traffic, passing us bottled water in the back seat and
talking on a walkie-talkie as he does this. Horns are tools used as commonly as
breaks and blinkers, and I get joy to no end from watching the hotel’s drivers
try to refrain from using the horn, presumably because we are from the west,
and then totally losing it and unleashing a furious outburst of horn honking
and muttering something unkind in Tagalog. Priceless.
Complimentary breakfast in the morning is a highlight of the
day. One word: bacon. Yes, they have it and I can eat as much as I’d like. I
can choose from a range of newspapers. The pineapple is incredible. Breakfast
also includes just about everything else. This includes sushi.
Malls are all the rage over here. What is there to see, I
ask. Answer: malls. The Greenbelt mall is directly across the street from the
hotel. When I ask what else there is to see, I’m told there is a Green Hills
mall someplace else in the city. Greenbelt is made up of five three-story
buildings all surrounding a central courtyard that features fountains and even
a church. A great nightlife here as most every restaurant has an outdoor patio
and they are all packed.
Beyond the malls, there are tentative plans to catch a
jeepney to Intramuros and Rizal Park this weekend. But then, of course, back to
the mall. It’s where you shop, it’s where you eat. It’s one of the places you
can find Jollibee.
Took some pictures for you all and they are not from behind
a window.
7th floor Canteen at PBCom Tower
View from the Skyway we take to work.Skyway again.
Proof Andrea is a Skywalker
Our hotel is the building in the background. This is taken from the Greenbelt courtyard.
Wine list with coin for scale.
Some cool hanging stuff on trees near the skyway.
Greenbelt nightlife.
No comments:
Post a Comment